Mike Bersani is a 1988 graduate of the John Marshall Law School and received his undergraduate degree from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign in 1985. Upon graduation from law school, Mike served as a judicial clerk to Florida Appellate Court Judge Edward T. Barfield. He entered private practice in 1990, first as an associate attorney with Schirott & Associates and then later as a partner with Hervas, Condon & Bersani, P.C. Mike has been active in various bar associations and professional organization activities. He currently serves on the Professional Development Committee of the Illinois Local Government Lawyers Association (ILGL) and has been a speaker on federal civil rights and state law tort immunity topics at the ILGL Annual Conference for the past 13 years. He also chaired the Illinois State Bar Association Local Government Law Section Council in 2013-2014, and the DuPage County Bar Association Local Government Committee in 1996-1997. Mike has an extensive litigation practice and is rated AV® Preeminent in Martindale.com.
On a personal note, Mike lives in Bartlett, Illinois, where he served as an elected village trustee from 1995 to 1997, plan commissioner from 1997 to 1999, and again as an elected village trustee from 1999 to 2003. He also served 13 years as an appointed fire commissioner for the Bartlett Fire Protection District, and currently serves as an elected trustee on the District’s Board of Trustees.
- Civil Rights Liability, Illinois Municipal Law: Contracts, Litigation, and Home Rule (Chapter 5) Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2015 Edition)
- The Demise of the General Willful and Wanton Exception to the Tort Immunity Act, Illinois Bar Journal, Vol. 99, July 2011, p. 348, Michael Bersani
- Pre-Suit Tips for Winning Deadly Force Cases – Municipal Lawyer Magazine (July/August 2002), Michael Bersani and Kim Fahrbach
- Civil Rights Update, Illinois Local Government Lawyers Association, Annual Conference (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Use of Force Trends, Recent Case Law, and Tips for Avoiding Liability, Illinois Sheriff’s Association, 2014 Chief Deputy/Jail Administrator Conference, Springfield, Illinois