Mike Bersani is a 1988 graduate of the John Marshall Law School and received his undergraduate degree from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign in 1985. Upon graduation from law school, Mike served as a judicial clerk to Florida Appellate Court Judge Edward T. Barfield. He entered private practice in 1990, first as an associate attorney with Schirott & Associates and then later as a partner with Hervas, Condon & Bersani, P.C. Mike has been active in various bar association and professional organization activities. He currently serves on the Professional Development Committee of the Illinois Local Government Lawyers Association (ILGL) and has been a speaker on federal civil rights topics at the ILGL Annual Conference for the past seven years. He also chaired the Illinois State Bar Association Local Government Law Section Council in 2013-2014, and the DuPage County Bar Association Local Government Committee in 1996-1997. He is also a corporate and associate member of the Illinois Association of Park Districts.
On a personal note, Mike lives in Bartlett, Illinois, where he served as an elected village trustee from 1995 to 1997, and again from 1999 to 2003. He currently serves as Fire Commissioner for the Bartlett Fire Protection District. Mike has an extensive litigation practice and is rated AV® Preeminent in Martindale.com.
- Civil Rights Liability, Illinois Municipal Law: Contracts, Litigation, and Home Rule (Chapter 5) Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (2015 Edition)
- The Demise of the General Willful and Wanton Exception to the Tort Immunity Act, Illinois Bar Journal, Vol. 99, July 2011, p. 348, Michael Bersani
- Pre-Suit Tips for Winning Deadly Force Cases – Municipal Lawyer Magazine (July/August 2002), Michael Bersani and Kim Fahrbach
- Civil Rights Update, Illinois Local Government Lawyers Association, Annual Conference (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Use of Force Trends, Recent Case Law, and Tips for Avoiding Liability, Illinois Sheriff’s Association, 2014 Chief Deputy/Jail Administrator Conference, Springfield, Illinois